Saturday, December 22, 2012

Safari - themed 1st Birthday Party

A lot of people have a lot to say about "going overboard" for a birthday party when the child is too young to understand what is going on. To that I respond: he may not get it, but we do. Moments are fleeting. Having lost my mom at 17, I carry with me the constant reminder of how slippery time can be and I choose to cherish the times as they come, not at some distant point in the future. I am not ashamed to admit: I thought about that first birthday party for months before he actually turned one. I just felt so profoundly lucky to have this amazing little treat as my own and I could not wait to do something special for my little boy. I felt like he had already given me so much off the bat - an indescribable taste of parenthood that filled me with a love I had not previously known existed - he deserved a celebration. Heck, I deserved a celebration! That first year had been no cakewalk by any means ( and I challenge any dismissive non-parent who belittles the intensity of parenting a newborn to a few nights of an infant with an ear infection), and I felt like completing that first year was some kid of feat. We had all made it out alive and in tact! Hooray! Now let's party!
I chose to go with an animal/safari theme, because animals are abound in baby's first books and toys.


We made a huge BBQ and found cute plates and napkins adorned with cartoon animals. I used pastel yellows, blues and greens for the tableware.


As a centerpiece I found these long plastic cups at Party City and filled them with solid colored Jelly Belly Beans. Clear Yard Glass
For a fun activity we had a zebra pinata filled with candy and safari animal toys. Pinata

Here everyone is, digging in!
Always my favorite part - here is the delicious safari cake. I added some cake toppers for a 3D effect as well.Jungle Animal Cake Toppers
Cutting the cake! I love that the sides were decorated with trees, to keep with the Jungle effect. 
Basically - in our family, when you put cake in front of us - we don't hold back! 
After all the prizes and treats, I did not need to send the kids home with huge goody bags. Instead I found these adorable safari-print Cupcake boxes and made some home-made frosted cupcakes as take-aways.
All in all it was a sweet day!

3 comments:

  1. OMG!! So cute baby and his looking so lovely. This safari party looks fabulous. Couple of days back my sister arranged her son’s birthday party at one of Venues in NYC. She took ideas from internet. It was an amazing party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this post is really useful and informative. This helped me to know decoration ideas. thanks.
    Helium Tank

    ReplyDelete